Adverse Weather Disruptions to Collection Service
Adverse Weather Disruption to Collection Service
Sometimes severe winter weather can effect curbside collection by causing unsafe driving conditions and roads blocked by downed trees or power lines.
Safety is the priority for the collection contractor. Slippery roads can be unsafe for large collection vehicles, putting collection staff and other road users at risk.
During severe winter weather every effort ismade to collect the curbside materials. If a regular collection day is missed due to weather or road conditions, the following procedure will apply:
- The collection trucks will provide service as per the regular schedule.
- For the area(s) where collection was disrupted the contractor will use additional trucks for service.
- If your street is not collected, please remove your containers overnight, (especially the green bin) and continue to put missed materials at the curb by 8 a.m. until they are collected. This may take several days.
- Clean-up of missed collection area(s) will start as soon as the roads are safe for the collection trucks.
- Use of the additional collection vehicles will continue until all the missed areas have been cleaned up.
Your understanding and patience is appreciated. For information on collection disruptions: please call Progressive Waste Solutions at 250-248-8109 or toll free at 1-866-999-8227.
Road Maintenance Responsibilities
Please note that the Regional District is not responsible for road maintenance (such as snow clearing). In the electoral areas this is a function of Emcon Services, a contractor to the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure. Roads and streets within municipalities are maintained by municipal crews.