Building inspectors conduct inspections at various stages of construction and keep records on file for future reference. Beyond the immediate role of ensuring safe construction, these inspection records provide verification of no longer visible building elements located within a building or structure. Lending institutions, appraisers, lawyers and others can then rely upon these files in determining the value of a building. Building Clerks can also assist you with the preparation of your building permit application.
It is the permit holder's responsibility to request inspections at least 48 hours (exclusive of Saturday, Sunday and Statutory Holidays) and to obtain inspections at the following stages of construction. To book a building inspection call 250-390-6530 with your building permit number, type of inspection required and what date you would like the inspection. You can call to book an inspection Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 4:30. If you leave a message outside of office hours no inspection will be booked. Gabriola inspections are only booked for Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Click Here for a Printable List
- Footings: - When the forms and steel reinforcing for the footings are complete, but prior to placing any concrete.
- Sewerline: - When the pipe is loaded and on 6" sand bed but prior to backfill.
- Waterline: - When pipe is in trench, sand-bedded
- Stormline - When pipe is in trench, sand-bedded and rockpit (if applicable) is complete.
- Drainage: - After installation of perimeter drain tiles, roof drains, drain rock and damp proofing, but prior to backfilling against the foundation.
- Underslab: - When any pipes in a plumbing system are installed in a location where they will be covered by concrete at a later stage of construction. DWV piping to be loaded.
- Rough-in Plumbing: - When roughed in plumbing and mechanical works, including piping drainage and venting system which would be concealed at a later stage of construction are complete. Supply piping to be pressure-tested and DWV to be loaded.
- Framing: - When roof framing and sheathing are complete; roofing is applied and rough-in plumbing, electrical and mechanical are complete, but before any insulation is installed.
- Insulation & Vapour Barrier: - When the insulation and vapour barrier have been completed and wall sheathing membrane and flashings are installed, but before interior finish is applied which could conceal the insulation.
- Fireplace: - When the smoke chamber of a fireplace or chimney thimble is complete but before continuation of the assembly above this point.
- Demolition: - When structures have been removed from a property
- Occupancy: - When the dwelling unit is complete and ready for occupancy but not occupied.
- Final: - When any other type of construction is ready for a final inspection
***** Ensure all approved plans are on site for all inspections*****