handyDART is a public transit service. It uses specially equipped vehicles designed to carry passengers, with physical or cognitive disabilities, who are unable to use public transit without assistance. It is a shared service. DART stands for Dial A Ride Transportation. Customers telephone handyDART to request a trip. Passengers are picked up at the accessible door where the trip originates and dropped off outside the door of their destination. To use the service you need to be registered and reserve your trip in advance of the required date. There is no registration fee. To register for the handyDART service or for more information call:
250-390-3000 Nanaimo Area
250-248-4557 (Parksville-Qualicum Beach Area)
To download a copy of the Application for Custom Transit Service, please [ Click Here ]
You may also write for information to:
6300 Hammond Bay Road
Nanaimo, B.C. V9T 6N2
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
handyDART Service Information
- You must register first and provide basic information, including name, address, phone number, type of mobility aid used, whether you will be travelling alone or with an escort or attendant, and the date you wish the service to start.
- handyDART trips can be booked by calling 250-390-3000 (Nanaimo Area) or 250-248-4557 (Parksville-Qualicum Beach Area) between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Two types of trip service are offered: regular subscription trips (once a week or more often) and one-time trips for health care, shopping, social visits, or recreational activities.
- Expect your bus to arrive 10 minutes before or after your scheduled pick-up time. Please be on time and waiting for the bus when it arrives.
- Cancel an unwanted ride as soon as possible (no later than 2 hours in advance of the trip time but preferably the day before).
- handyDART service is provided in the:
- Nanaimo Area - Monday to Friday, 7 am to 6:00 pm and Saturday 9:00am to 6:00pm and Sunday, 9 am to 5 pm.
- Parksville-Qualicum Beach Area - Monday to Friday, 7:15 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. Saturday and Sunday no service.
- handyDART does not operate on statutory holidays: New Year's Day, Family Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, BC Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day, Boxing Day.
Mobility Aid Information
A mobility aid must meet the following requirements in order for it to be transported on the handyDART bus.
- Mobility Aid guidelines:
- Length - 121.9 cm (48 inches)
- Width - 60.96 cm (24 inches)
- The combined weight of the customer and mobility aid cannot exceed 272kg (600 lbs).
- All scooters and wheelchairs must have functioning lap belts that are to be used at all times while in the handyDART vehicle.
- Flags must be removed from scooters prior to the handyDART vehicle arriving for pick up.
- Wheelchairs must have escort handles that are in good working condition.
- Escort handles on manual wheelchairs.
- Secure and suitably located components to attach tie downs.
- Functioning brakes.
- Electric mobility aids must have brakes that are in good working order.
- Wheelchairs that have a reclining seat must have the seat back in the upright position and have the recliner turned off while on the bus.
- Batteries must be tied down and in a leak-proof case.