Blueback Community Park
Date: May 19, 2017
Due to the extended, unusually wet winter and spring coupled with the challenging drainage regime of the park site this project has experienced a number of construction delays. We would like to thank the community for their patience.
Starting on May 18, 2017 Milestone Contracting will be completing work on the final improvements to Blueback Community Park. The work will include the completion of the rock retaining wall, drainage improvements, hydro-seeding and fencing.
The remaining work at this location is expected to be completed by June 15th and will generally take place between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm.
To create a safe work zone the park will be closed periodically and the parking lot will be temporarily restricted.
For more information please contact Elaine McCulloch, RDN Parks Planner at 250-248-4744 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The park property was acquired by the RDN in 1963 as a community park through subdivision of the surrounding lands. Until it was cleared in 2015 as part of park development, the site was almost entirely covered in blackberry bushes with a narrow trail that led to the beach. There is roadside parking for 6 cars.
Through a community engagement process held in 2013/2014 local residents requested the following park improvements and management goals:
- Open up the park to allow community access to the property (clear brush & improve drainage)
- Remove blackberries and restore with native plants.
- Maintain/improve views to the beach and ocean (provide a view corridor).
- Provide amenities such as washrooms, change room and staging area to reduce the impact of existing recreational uses (e.g. scuba diving and kayaking).
- Improve parking with additional spaces and a drop-off area.
- Include environmental interpretation and welcome signs.
- Separate passive community use and active recreation areas.
- Provide seating and small gathering area (for family uses like picnics etc.).
- Include imaginative and playful elements for a unique local park character.
|Summer 2015:||park clearing|
|Fall 2015 - Spring 2016:||drainage work began in the fall 2015 and was completed in the spring 2016 due to weather conditions. |
|Summer / Fall 2016:||park development to continue|
Park development funding was provided through the RDN Electoral Area 'E' Community Parks budget and the Electoral Area 'E' Community Works Fund.