Huxley Community Park
Huxley Community Park is located within Gabriola's village core on North Road between the Folklife Village shopping centre and The Commons, across the street from the Gabriola Professional Centre.
The park property is 0.8 hectares (2 acres) in size and has two tennis courts, a sport court, a small unofficial skateboarding area, and a ten-car parking lot. There are trail connections leading to the Folklife shopping center as well as to The Commons.
Huxley Park was created in 1987, as a result of the development of Folklife Village. The Gabriola Recreation Commission Association (which ultimately became the Gabriola Island Parks and Recreation Commission and then the Huxley Park Sports Association) leased the green space from Brenda Huxley and coordinated the construction of the tennis courts in 1989. The sport court was built by volunteers and completed in 1994. The Huxley Park Sports Association, with help from the Ball Hockey club continued to monitor and maintain the Park until it was donated to the Regional District of Nanaimo as a community park in 2011. Park development and maintenance is now funded through the Regional District of Nanaimo Electoral Area 'B' (which includes Gabriola, DeCourcy and Mudge Islands) Community Parks function.
Park Master Plan
In 2013/2014 a master planning process was undertaken for Huxley Park. The final master plan was shaped by the input gathered through the community consultation process and includes the following:
- Sport court - maintain existing footprint; provide upgrades to dasher boards; improve bleachers; provide equipment storage for users.
- Tennis court - maintain existing footprint (not adequate space to provide another court); install new surfacing & nets; provide equipment storage for users.
- Skateboard/bike park - provide a cast-in-place concrete skate/bike park.
- Parking - provide parking for a minimum of 12 vehicles.
- Restroom facilities - provide a pump-out washroom (or porta-potty with surround).
- Playground - provide play equipment for focusing on the 2-5 age-group.
- Plaza - provide a paved gathering area and performance space.
- Trails - maintain a trail connection between the The Commons, Huxley Park and Folklife Village.