Septic System Maintenance Rebate
Septic System Maintenance Rebate
To date, this program has given residents more than $80,000 towards the maintenance of their septic systems.
In 2017, the RDN is offering Septic Maintenance Rebates of:
- Up to $500 for a Performance Assessment
- Up to $300 for installing Risers
- Up to $100 for installing an Effluent Filter
- $500 flat rate to replace a malfunctioning system
- Bonus of up to $100 for 2017 SepticSmart workshop participants to "top-up" an eligible rebate
Please note: There is significant interest in the Septic Maintenance Rebate program this year. As such, a waitlist has been started for pre-approvals. Pre-approval applications will be placed in queue as they are received on a first-come first-served basis, and applicants will be contacted if funds come available for their application.
TO BE ELIGIBLE, WORK MUST BE:
- For onsite wastewater treatment (e.g. septic) systems in the RDN and for properties which have not received a similar Septic Maintenance Rebate in previous years.
- Performed by an "Authorized Person" as defined by the Sewerage System Regulation.
- Performed between January 1 and December 31, 2017.
- On pre-existing systems installed before January 1, 2017 OR to replace a malfunctioning system.
- For an eligible category. Note: Tank pump-outs are not eligible for a rebate.
The RDN will rebate 75% of eligible expenses, to a maximum amount, for Category 1, 2, 3, and the Bonus. Flat rate for Category 4.
PREAPPROVAL AND CLAIMS:
A limited number of rebates are available. Apply for pre-approval to "reserve" funds for eligible work for up to 90 days. Claims must be received by December 31, 2017.
||Performance Assessment (pre-existing systems only) - maximum rebate $500
The assessment must provide a report which is submitted to the RDN and:
- Provides the date of assessment, name of client, civic address
- Describes the system type (i.e. 1, 2 or 3), detailed location and sizing of system components
- Explains the expected function, actual function and condition of each component
- Provides recommendations for repairs and a maintenance schedule
- Includes the Authorized Person’s signature and ROWP registration number or seal
- Follows a format consistent with the Standard Practice Manual and ASTTBC Assessment Reports
||Riser Installation (pre-existing systems only) - maximum rebate of $300
Risers provide surface access to buried components. Risers make future pumping, inspection, and maintenance much easier. If you have risers, you have little to no digging to do hereafter.
||Effluent Filter Installation (pre-existing systems only) - maximum rebate of $100
Effluent filters can prolong the life of your system by keeping solids out of the distribution field. Newer systems may already have an effluent filter. It is often possible to retrofit older tanks to house a filter. Important note: Effluent filters must be cleaned regularly to work properly.
||Replace a Malfunctioning System - $500 flat rate
Applies to system repair and replacement with a value of at least $5,000. Verification of system replacement by an Authorized Person is required. Can not be combined with Category 1, 2 or 3 Rebates.
||Combined eligible rebate maximum increases by up to $100 for 2017 SepticSmart workshop participants. Name must appear on sign-in sheet to be eligible.
The RDN offers free workshops providing tips on how to properly care for your septic system. Participants go home with a free SepticSmart Kit.
All information is general in nature and is not intended to be used as a substitute for appropriate professional advice.
Wastewater Services | 6300 Hammond Bay Road | Nanaimo, BC V9T 6N2 | E-mail: email@example.com
Telephone: 250-390-6560 (Nanaimo) 250-954-3792 (Oceanside) 1-877-607-4111 (Toll Free)
1-800-862-3429 (Emergency) | 250-390-1542 (Fax)