Residents know that most of our precipitation occurs during winter months. Records with Environment Canada indicate that, on average, our area receives only about 100 mm of precipitation during June, July and August combined. (This is less precipitation than areas of the Okanagan Valley during the same time period!) Summer is also the time when demand for water resources is highest. Consumption can increase by more than 50 % over winter use. Most of this is used to 'inefficiently' water lawns and gardens.
Maintaining a vegetable garden through a drought can be a challenge. The principles of xeriscape can lend themselves very well to growing vegetables during periods of limited water supply. Here are a couple more tips:
Up to 65 % of water used to irrigate our lawns and gardens is lost to inefficient watering practices which result in runoff, evaporation, or leaks.
Information about regularly maintaining your irrigation system can be found in our brochure Top 10 Irrigation Tips. [ Click Here ]
Other Resources for Residential Irrigation Systems
Irrigation Industry of British Columbia - An excellent resource for irrigation system installation, maintenance and more.
Xeriscape gardening is a systematic concept of saving water in landscaped areas - this means using fewer resources while still having a beautiful landscape. Practicing xeriscape can reduce water use by 70% or more. You can visit the RDN's Xeriscape Garden at 846 Yambury Road, Qualicum Beach.
The Seven Principles of Xeriscape are:
- Plan and Design… for water conservation and beauty from the start.
- Create Practical Turf Areas… of manageable sizes, shapes, and appropriate grasses.
- Use Appropriate Plants... native plants and those with low water needs will allow maximum water conservation.
- Soil Improvement… your landscape will benefit from the addition of sphagnum peat moss, compost, aged manure, or other decomposed organic materials.
- Use of Mulches… these cool soil, minimize evaporation, reduce weed growth, slow erosion, and provide landscape interest.
- Water Wisely… consider the efficiency of your system, when you water, and how frequently.
- Good Maintenance… keeping your watering system free of leaks, mowing, weeding, pruning, and fertilizing on a regular basis.
|RDN Xeriscape Garden|
|Located at: 846 Yambury Road, Qualicum Beach|