RDN Water Service Area - Watering Restrictions
This webpage is dedicated to RDN Water Service Area Customers
only. This includes the neighbourhoods of Surfside/McFeely Drive, Whiskey Creek, Melrose Road, River's Edge, French Creek- Sandpiper, San Pareil, Bissel Road/Pylades Drive, and Nanoose Bay Peninsula (Fairwinds, Garry Oaks, Red Gap, Beachcomber, Madrona Point and Wall Beach).
- Private wells are not subject to municipal watering restrictions.
A centralized website with an interactive web map is available via for residents and visitors to the region who are unfamiliar with where they reside.
On May 1, 2017, the RDN water service areas will be in Stage 2 Watering Restrictions. You may use any type of sprinkler, underground system, rotor, or twirlybird ONLY on every other day: Even-numbered houses may water on even-numbered calendar days, and odd-numbered houses may water on odd-numbered calendar days, between the hours of 7:00am to 10:00am OR 7:00pm to 10:00pm for a maximum of 2 hours per day.
2017 Watering Restrictions
- A person may water vegetable gardens or fruit trees any day at any time.
- Hand-watering is exempt from watering restrictions, but must be done using a hand-held container or a hose equipped with a shutoff device.
- Micro irrigation and drip irrigation are exempt from watering restrictions, but must deliver irrigation water to the root zone of the plant and use less than 20 gallons per hour at less than 25 PSI. This does NOT include soaker hoses.
- Washing vehicles, boats, and houses (siding) must be done using a hand-held container or a hose equipped with a shutoff device.
- Commercial enterprises (i.e. power washing and window washing companies, nurseries, tree farms, etc) are exempt from watering restrictions.
- Commercial property owners may vary hours of water use with written permission from the Manager of Water Services.
- Public service premises and utilities may vary hours of use as required to accomplish maintenance and upkeep of public installations.
- School and municipal playing fields may vary hours of use as required to accomplish maintenance and upkeep of fields.
- If hot, dry, summer conditions persist and water sources are showing signs of stress, the Manager of Water Services will direct RDN water service customers to Stage 3 or Stage 4 Watering Restrictions. You will be notified by a combination of radio ads, newspaper ads, website ads, social media, roadside signage, and flyers if the water conservation stage becomes more stringent.
- Please contact RDN Water & Utility Services at 1-877-607-4111 if you require further information.
For watering restriction details in nearby communities, please click on the applicable water purveyor: