Compostable BagsCommercial organic materials are banned from disposal in the Regional landfill. Businesses and organizations affected by the ban are required to collect compostable materials separately from regular waste and send them to a licensed composting facility.
Compostable materials may be collected in a bin without a bag or liner. If you choose to use a bag it must be compostable as they are designed to break down during the composting process at International Composting Corporation's facility.
Any bags or liners used must meet the ASTM D6400-04-Standard Specification for Compostable Plastics. These bags can be purchased from the following businesses:
- Enterprise Paper (Parksville): 1-888-751-2210
- Island Cleaning Supplies: (Parksville) 250-954-3211
- Planet Clean: (Nanaimo) 250-753-0255
- GFS Foods: 1-800-663-1695
- Sysco Victoria Inc.: 1-800-363-3331
- Wesclean: 1-888-337-2929