Food Waste Collection Frequency
Food wasted is collected every week.
Unsure of where an item should go? Use the What Goes Where look up tool to search hundreds of items.
Automated Curbside Collection
How to Use Your Food Waste Cart (green lid)
This short video illustrates how the food waste carts are to be used.
Your food waste cart is equipped with a gravity lock
Even in the locked position (handle oriented in the vertical position), the new collection trucks will be able to open the lid when the food waste cart is tipped upside down in the 110 degree position. Keep your food waste cart locked at all times, including on collection day, to prevent wildlife interactions.
The Importance of Composting Right
This short video illustrates what goes where and the importance of composting right as it relates to contamination in the food waste stream.
In October 2020, the RDN to an automated curbside collection service - a cleaner, safer and smarter way to collect waste. Simply roll your carts to the curb on your scheduled collection day. The new collections truck will empty the carts and return them back to the curb using a mechanical arm operated by the crew from inside the cab of the truck.
Collection will remain the same as the 2020/2021 collection schedule. Click here for check your schedule.
- Food waste is collected weekly in your food waste cart;
- Garbage is collected every two weeks in your garbage cart, alternating weeks with your recycling; and
- Recycling is collected every two weeks in your recycling cart, alternating weeks with your garbage.
By 8 AM on your scheduled collection day:
- Roll your carts to the street with the wheels against the curb if there is one, or just off the road, on the shoulder or at the end of your driveway.
- Face your carts with the arrows on the cart lid must point to the street. The cart lids must be completely closed and the food waste cart lid in the locked position; overflowing carts will not be collected as material will spill onto the street as it is being emptied.
- Space your carts at least 1 m (3 ft) of clearance between the carts and any obstacles (parked cars, poles, fire hydrants, etc.) and 3 m (10 ft) of clearance above.
- Remove your carts once the collection truck has emptied the carts, return your carts to a secure location on your property within the same day. If your carts are not collected by 6 PM, report a missed collection via the Online Portal (link will not be active until September 15th).