News Release - August 11, 2018
Evacuation Order Downgraded and Alert Rescinded for Nanaimo Lakes WildfireThe Nanaimo Lakes Wildfire is now 40% contained and the Regional District of Nanaimo has been advised by BC Wildfire to downgrade the evacuation order to an alert. The evacuation alert has also now been rescinded.
OrderThe evacuation order has now been downgraded to an alert for homes west of the Nanaimo Lakes Fire, in the area outlined in red below.
Residents will be given as much advance notice as possible prior to evacuation; however, you may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO WHEN AN ALERT IS IN EFFECT
Upon notification of an ALERT, you should be prepared for the evacuation order by:
- Locating all family members or co-workers and designate at an agreed to meeting place, outside the evacuation area, should an evacuation be called while separated.
- Gathering essential items such as medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), immediate care needs for dependents and, if you choose, keepsakes (photographs, etc.). Have these items readily available for quick departure.
- Preparing to move any disabled persons and/or children.
- Moving pets and livestock to a safe area.
- Arranging to transport your household members or co-workers in the event of an evacuation order. If you need transportation assistance from the area please call 911.
- Arranging accommodation for your family if possible. In the event of an evacuation, Reception Centres will be opened if required.
AlertThe alert has been rescinded for 77 residences for an area east of the fire, area outlined in yellow below.
This information will be shared with the public on the RDN website, Facebook and Twitter, to the media, as a Connect Rocket alert and door to door in the area by the RDN. We greatly appreciate the cooperation of residents for obeying the order and preparing in the alert area.
As we remain in a high or extreme fire danger rating please be very cautious when you are out enjoying the summer. To report a wildfire call 1-800-663-5555 or *5555 on most cellular networks.
For information regarding active wildfires please visit BC Fire Info or call the BC Wildfire Information Line at 250-951-4209. We will continue to provide updates on wildfires in the RDN as they become available from BC Wildfire. Check our website, Facebook and Twitter for the most up-to-date information.