Alternative Approval Process to Replace Dashwood Fire Hall
Replacement of Dashwood Fire Hall Project Approved by Residents
The amendment to the Dashwood Fire Hall service bylaw to facilitate additional borrowing of up to $2,243,662 to finance the costs of constructing a fire hall to serve the Dashwood Fire Hall Service Area was approved through an Alternative Approval Process (AAP) that concluded at 4 p.m. on June 27, 2022.
The AAP was conducted in accordance with Section 86 of the Community Charter. Of an estimated 1,542 electors in the service area, 18 valid elector response forms were received by the deadline in opposition to Bylaw No. 1785.01 and Bylaw No. 1789.01. Approval for the bylaws was obtained as less than 10 per cent of electors within the respective service areas submitted an elector response form by the June 27, 2022, response deadline.
The complete News Release is available here.
Pending approval, the Regional District of Nanaimo (RDN) is proposing to amend the Dashwood Fire Hall service bylaw to facilitate additional borrowing of up to two million, two hundred and forty-three thousand, six hundred and sixty-two dollars ($2,243,662) to be repaid over a period not to exceed twenty-five (25) years in order to finance the costs of constructing a fire hall to serve the Dashwood Fire Hall Service Area within the Regional District of Nanaimo
Before the purchase can proceed, affected electors must approve the “Dashwood Fire Hall Service Amendment Bylaw No. 1785.01, 2022” and “Dashwood Fire Hall Loan Authorization Amendment Bylaw No. 1789.01, 2022”
This will be done through the Alternative Approval Process (AAP), which will begin on May 18, 2022. The Elector Response Form is available below. Electors who oppose this initiative can submit an Elector Response Form during the AAP period. Electors who are not opposed do not need to take any action. The deadline for submissions of elector responses for this AAP is June 27, 2022.
Further information will be posted when available.
For the proposed bylaws and more information with respect to the Alternative Approval Process, please click the links below:
- Staff Report from July 12, 2022 Board Meeting - Dashwood Fire Hall Alternative Approval Process 2022 Results
- Corporate Officer's Certification
- Staff Report from May 10, 2022 Board Meeting - Dashwood Fire Hall Bylaw Amendments AAP Update
- Staff Report from February 2, 2022 Board meeting
- Dashwood Fire Hall Service Amendment Bylaw No. 1785.01, 2022
- Dashwood Fire Hall Loan Authorization Amendment Bylaw No. 1789.01, 2022
- Dashwood Fire Hall Replacement Project Get Involved Page
- General Information Regarding the Alternative Approval Process - Governance and Structure Branch
- Notice of Alternative Approval Process in Electoral Areas F, G, and H (Bylaws 1785.01 and 1789.01)
- Elector Response Form - Dashwood Fire Hall Service Amendment and Loan Authorization