Illegal Dumping Prevention and Enforcement
Illegal dumping is a long-standing concern in the Regional District of Nanaimo. In 2016, over 35 tonnes of illegally dumped material was recovered and disposed of appropriately. Illegally dumped material can have serious effects on the environment, wildlife habitat and the ability of others to use and enjoy outdoor recreational areas.
What is Illegal Dumping?
Illegal dumping is purposefully leaving waste on private or public land rather than using legal disposal methods like recycling or landfilling. Pursuant to RDN Bylaw No. 1386, those who generate (own), deliver or abandon waste illegally can be subject to a fine of up to $200,000.
Illegal dumping includes but is not limited to:
- Yard and Garden waste
- Construction and demolition waste
- Bulky item (furniture, appliances etc.)
Is it Really Garbage?
Common illegally dumped items can often be recycled at a local depot for free. Recycling is an important part of the regions goal to reach Zero Waste. Use our Curbside app or our online "What Goes Where" to find a disposal option near you.
What Can You Do?
Appropriately dispose of extra garbage, household hazardous waste and other materials. It's not as hard or as expensive as you might think!
- Purchase $3 garbage tags to put out up to two extra containers with your regular garbage collection. Click Here for more information.
- Use our online "what goes where" feature to find a disposal option for your waste near you. Click here for more information.
- Organize a community clean up in your neighbourhood. Contact Solid Waste Services at (250) 390-6560 or 1-877-607-4111 (toll-free) to get any disposal fees waived.
- Take your garbage to the Regional Landfill at 1105 Cedar Road in Nanaimo, or to the Church Road Transfer Station at 860 Church Road in Parksville. Both facilities are open from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Sunday. Click Here for more information.
Help combat illegal dumping by observing, recording and reporting:
When you witness illegal dumping in the Regional District of Nanaimo (outside the municipalities of Nanaimo, Parksville, Town of Qualicum and Lantzville) report it to Solid Waste Services by calling (250) 390-6560 or 1-877-607-4111 (toll-free). You can also leave an anonymous tip with Nanaimo and District Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or visit the website to leave a secure tip at www.nanaimocrimestoppers.com.
When you witness an environmental violations in progress anywhere in BC call the Provincial Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP) line at 1-877-952-7277 to report illegal waste disposal anywhere in BC.
What to Record:
- Description of suspect(s) including the number of people, sex, race, age, height/weight, eye colour, hair colour and style, and physical attributes.
- Details of violation including date, time, location, type of violation, suspect's actions and comments.
- Transport involved including vehicle make, model, year, colour and distinctive features.
- Witnesses including the name, address and contact number of each person.