The Regional District of Nanaimo's (RDN) Wastewater Services (WWS) Environmental Policy reflects the values and priorities of the RDN's Board Strategic Plan 2019 - 2022, Regional Growth Strategy and Liquid Waste Management Plan.
The RDN's WWS is committed to providing reliable, high quality, and cost-effective wastewater services to the people and communities we serve. We strive to optimize our treatment and re-use processes and employ proven pollution prevention strategies at our facilities to protect and enhance the natural environment for future generations. In fulfillment of this commitment, it is the WWS policy:
- To do our utmost to comply with the letter and spirit of relevant environmental laws and regulations. There shall be thorough and accurate measurement and reporting of our environmental compliance.
- To prevent pollution. This includes improving the quality of treated wastewater and avoiding or reducing environmental pollution produced directly from WWS operations, or indirectly by the consumption of power, fuel, chemicals, and other resources.
- To identify and monitor environmental impacts and set measurable objectives and targets to reduce those impacts on the environment.
- To foster openness and dialogue with employees, First Nations and the public, including community engagement and public outreach, and respond to their concerns about potential hazards and impacts of our operations.
- To continually improve our performance relevant to this environmental policy.
This policy will be communicated regularly to all WWS staff and will be made available to regulatory agencies, the public, or other interested parties upon request.
General Manager, Regional and Community Utilities
Date: 20 November 2019