Making a Bylaw Enforcement Complaint
In accordance with the Regional District of Nanaimo (RDN) Bylaw Enforcement Policy, bylaw enforcement complaints must be submitted in written form, with required details through the On-line Portal here. Anonymous complaints will not be considered. The required information can also be easily submitted by completing this COMPLAINT FORM. Completed forms can be submitted by:
- Email to bylawservices [at] rdn.bc.ca
- Mail or in person to 6300 Hammond Bay Road, Nanaimo B.C. V9T 6N2
Considerations to be taken when initiating a complaint:
All personal information received by the RDN is confidential and will not be released to the public. Rare exceptions to this policy may include an order to release information made by the Provincial Freedom of Information Commissioner or by the Courts.
Once a complaint has been accepted, a Bylaw Enforcement Officer will conduct an investigation to determine the appropriate course of action to be taken. Resolution of complaints may include a warning, voluntary compliance, a monetary fines or a legal action such as a Supreme Court injunction.
If possible, it is recommended that residents of the Regional District of Nanaimo attempt to resolve their issues before contacting Bylaw Services for assistance.
Questions about bylaws
If you have questions about Regional District of Nanaimo Land Use bylaws, please contact the Planning Department at askplanning [at] rdn.bc.ca or 250-390-6510.
If you have a question about other regulatory bylaws, you can contact Bylaw Services at 250-390-6559 or bylawservices [at] rdn.bc.ca.
For dog related complaints and inquiries contact our animal control contractor Coastal Animal Control Services of BC at 1-888-754-1397 or cacs [at] telus.net (Area A, B, or C should submit barking dog complaints to the RDN Bylaw Services).
The Regional District of Nanaimo does not regulate the following:
- Road maintenance or illegal dumping on the road or roadside, contact Mainroad Mid Island Contracting at 1-877-215-6006
- Parking or traffic violations. Contact the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure at 250-751-3246 or the local RCMP non-emergency line: Nanaimo RCMP 250-754-2345 or Oceanside RCMP 250-248-6111.
- Septic systems, sewage or water. Contact Island Health.
- Electrical or Gas: Contact Technical Safety BC