Making a Complaint

Making a Complaint - COVID-19 Information

How to Report a COVID-19 Related Infraction

To report potential infractions of Quarantine or Self-isolation Orders, contact Island Health:

  • VIslandHealth.Info [at]

To report a Provincial health infraction (food premises, including restaurants, mobiles, and grocery stores as well as personal service establishments and pools), contact Island Health:

  • Parksville: HPES.Parksville [at] or 250-947-8222
  • Nanaimo: HPES.Nanaimo [at] or 250-755-6215

To report a municipal issue (gatherings at community facilities such as community halls, museums, places of worship, tourist enterprises, recreational facilities and private property), contact RDN Bylaw Services:

  • bylawservices [at] or 250-390-6559

To report a concern related to a Provincial Park, contact BC Parks at:

Bylaw Services

To report price gouging and reselling of essential goods and supplies, please click here for the online form.

Making a Complaint

To view Regional District of Nanaimo bylaws click here. If you have questions about Regional District of Nanaimo bylaws, you can contact Bylaw Services at 250-390-6559 or bylawservices [at], your inquiry may be redirected to the appropriate staff member. 

The RDN’s new web portal is now available for submitting bylaw complaints. Simply click on this link, register, and submit your confidential complaint following the steps provided. You will receive an acknowledgement of your complaint within five business days. Click here to submit your complaint with the Portal.

Bylaw Services will receive complaints in the following manner:

  • Online Portal click here 
  • By email to bylawservices [at] 
  • By telephone at 250-390-6559
  • By mail to 6300 Hammond Bay Road, Nanaimo B.C. V9T 6N2
  • For dog-related complaints/inquiries in all Electoral Areas, contact Coastal Animal Control Services at 1-888-754-1397 or cacs [at]
  • For RDN Park complaints click here

To make a complaint regarding an alleged violation of bylaw regulations, the Regional District of Nanaimo requires the complainant provide their name, address, and phone number, as well as their relationship to the issue that the complaint is regarding. Should the complainant not provide this information, no action will be taken by Bylaw Services.

Considerations to be taken when initiating a complaint:

ALL complainant information is considered to be confidential and will not be released to the person whose property is under complaint, unless under an order made by the Provincial Freedom of Information Commissioner (a rare occurrence). The Regional District of Nanaimo may also require a complainant to act as a witness, should it become necessary to settle a case in court. This is usually done as a last resort.

Once a complaint has been accepted, a Bylaw Enforcement Officer will conduct an investigation which will determine the appropriate course of action to be taken. Resolution of complaints may include a simple warning/request, a monetary fine or a legal action such as a Supreme Court injunction.

Often complaints are resolved amicably between neighbours. As a result, and if possible, it is recommended that residents of the Regional District of Nanaimo attempt to resolve their issues before contacting Bylaw Services for assistance.