Drinking Water and Watershed Protection Action Plan
The RDN has recently updated its Drinking Water and Watershed Protection (DWWP) Action Plan for 2020-2030 and beyond. DWWP is a regional service that delivers initiatives under the the themes of Water Awareness & Stewardship; Water Information & Science; Water-centric Planning & Policy Support; and Water Collaboration, in the 7 Electoral Areas and 4 Municipalities within the region.
- Downloadable PDF of RDN DWWP Action Plan 2.0 (30 MB)
Please visit our Get Involved page to learn more about the update process that took place during 2019.
The Drinking Water and Watershed Protection (DWWP) service was established following expression of public support by referendum in 2008. The DWWP program launched in 2009 to address the need for better water information to inform local decisions and the need to coordinate across jurisdictions.
The DWWP service is established by RDN bylaw 1556-0. There have been four amendments since that bylaw was passed, to include participation of the member municipalities and changes to parcel tax requisition:
Technical Advisory Committee
The Drinking Water & Watershed Protection Technical Advisory Committee advises the Board and staff on the implementation of the Drinking Water and Watershed Protection Service.
The actions of the Committee members include:
- provide recommendations to the Board through the Sustainability Select Committee regarding activities relating to the Drinking Water and Watershed Protection program;
- participate on smaller ad-hoc committees dealing with specific issues or tasks;
- provide advice and feedback on consultation activities with service area stakeholders;
- provide input and feedback on technical reports, discussion papers, and other documents prepared for the committee's information;
- identify tools and techniques to be employed in the monitoring and evaluation of the Drinking Water and Watershed Protection service and its implementation; and
- make recommendations to increase the effectiveness of the Drinking Water and Watershed Protection service.
The committee consists of 21 members representing a broad range of interests and geographic locations in the RDN. Members will be selected by the Board either through an application process or by appointment or by the member's organization.
|Randy Alexander||Committee Chairman and GM of RDN Regional and Community Utilities|
|Bob Weir||Municipal Representative, Town of Qualicum Beach|
|Barb Silenieks||Municipal Representative, City of Parksville/ Arrowsmith Water Service|
|Fred Spears||Municipal Representative, District of Lantzville|
|Mike Squire||Municipal Representative, City of Nanaimo|
|Gilles Wendling||Hydrogeologist Representative|
|Lynne Magee||Vancouver Island Health Authority|
|Pat Lapcevic||BC Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development|
|Rosie Barlak||BC Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy|
|William Shulba||Islands Trust|
|Anne Fiddick||Environmental Community|
|Greg Rowe||Public Representative (North)|
|Keith Foster||Public Representative (South)|
|Pam Jorgenson||Forest Industry (Mosaic Forest Management)|
|Leon Cake||Water Purveyors (Coastal Water Suppliers)|
|Oliver Brandes||Academic Community (POLIS Project on Ecological Governance)|
|Alan Gilchrist||Vancouver Island University, Department of Geography|
|Kirsten Fagervik||Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure|
|Kate Miller||Cowichan Valley Regional District|
|Nick Leone||Department of Fisheries and Oceans|
- For more details, see the committee's Terms of Reference - updated 2017
All Committee Meetings are open to the general public. The Committee normally meets at the RDN office located at 6300 Hammond Bay Road in Nanaimo.
Meeting documents can be viewed at Agendas, Minutes, & Videos. To access meeting documents prior to October 2018, please contact waterprotection [at] rdn.bc.ca.
- September 10, 2019 - Staff Presentation
- February 14, 2019 - Staff Presentation
- October 25, 2018 - Staff Presentation
- April 19, 2018 - Staff Presentation
- October 18, 2017 - Staff Presentation
- March 21, 2017 - Staff Presentation
- November 10, 2016 - Presentation
- July 7, 2016 - Presentation
- April 13, 2016 - Presentation
- November 19, 2015 - Presentation
- April 14, 2015 - Staff Presentation
- November 27, 2014 - Staff Presentation
- July 23, 2014 - Staff Presentation
- June 19, 2013 - Staff Presentation
- December 13, 2012 - Gabriola Water Budget Update Presentation
- December 13, 2012 - Water Budget Project Update Presentation
- July 25, 2012 - Water Budget Project Update Presentation
- February 14, 2012 - Waterline Presentation
- February 14, 2012 - Staff Presentation
- February 14, 2012 - ERWS Presentation
- Staff Report - February 2020 - Final Updated DWWP Action Plan 2020-2030
- Staff Report - November 2019 - Updated DWWP Action Plan - Draft for Endorsement in Principle
- Staff Report - February 2019 - DWWP Action Plan Update Project
- Staff Report - November 2018 - 10 Year Action Plan Implementation Review for DWWP
- Staff Report - September 2017 - DWWP Program Update