Camping at Descanso Bay
Camping at Descanso Bay Regional Park
Descanso Bay Regional Park is open for the fall and winter season with COVID-19 protocols in place. As per orders from the Medical Health Officer, visitors are required to provide personal information for the purposes of contact tracing.
Due to current supply shortages, hand sanitizer availability in toilet facilities can not be guaranteed. Park visitors are asked to bring their own supply of hand sanitizer and face masks when visiting parks.
Group camping remains closed until further notice.
Descanso Bay Regional Park on Gabriola Island is located a short distance from the ferry terminal and is an ideal location for discovering all Gabriola has to offer. This 40-acre oceanfront park has a family-friendly campground that offers private, un-serviced, wooded sites and is easily accessible by vehicle, foot, bike, or kayak. Wander or bike along an established network of trails through the majestic forest setting of Cox Community Park located next door and explore the unique sandstone ocean shoreline in your own kayak or rent one at the park. Reservable campsites are available year-round at this park.
Making a Campsite Reservation
- For more information please contact the park operator at 250-247-8255 or descansobaypark [at] gmail.com.
- Reservations for campsites at Descanso Bay Regional Park can be made up to six (6) months in advance. Reservations are recommended as there are limited drop-in sites available for first-come, first-served guests. The maximum stay is fourteen (14) nights.
- Reservation Fee (non-refundable) - $6 per campsite, per night, to a maximum of $18, plus tax.
- A maximum of five (5) sites may be booked with one reservation.
- Statutory Holiday Weekends - A minimum 3-night stay is required.
(When the holiday falls: on a Friday - the minimum stay is Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights; on a Monday - the minimum stay is Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights; on any other day - no minimum stay applies.)
- Minimum 2-night stay if booking a Saturday in July and August.
- Camping fees include parking for one vehicle. An additional fee of $8.50 per vehicle per night can be prepaid in conjunction with a reservation.
- Please review the campground rules prior to making a reservation.
- Make an on-line campsite reservation now.
Full payment is required at the time you make your reservation or change an existing reservation. All reservations must be paid with a credit card.
High Season: April 1 - September 30
Small sites (bike in) - $20 per night, plus tax
Large sites (vehicles accessible) - $23 per night, plus tax
Reservation fee (non-refundable) - $6 per campsite, per night, to a maximum of $18, plus tax
Extra vehicles - $11.50 per night, plus tax
A minimum 3-night stay is required on statutory holiday weekends.
A minimum 2-night stay is required if booking a Saturday in July and August.
Low Season: October 1 - March 31
All sites - $10 per night, plus tax
Reservation fee (non-refundable) - $3 per campsite, per night, to a maximum of $9, plus tax
Extra vehicles - $5 per night, plus tax
- Campsite reservation changes can be made by email at descansobaypark [at] gmail.com. Changes are not accepted online or by telephone.
- There is a non-refundable transaction fee of $10 for each reservation change.
- Date changes need to be made at least seven (7) days prior to your arrival date.
- After a date change has been made, the reservation can no longer be cancelled.
- All date-change requests are dependent on availability.
Cancellations / Refunds
- Cancellations can be made by email at descansobaypark [at] gmail.com, or online if you registered for an account at the time of booking.
- Bookings cancelled within a week (7) days of scheduled arrival date: no refund.
- Bookings cancelled more than a week ahead of scheduled arrival receive a full refund minus reservation fee.
- Refunds are not given for an eviction, vacating your campsite early, or inclement weather.
Check-in time: 1 p.m. - 8 p.m. Check-out time: before 11 a.m.
Please call 250-247-8255 or email descansobaypark [at] gmail.com if you need to check in late. If you do not show up on the day of your reservation or provide notice of your late arrival, your site will be held until 11:00 a.m. the following morning. After that time your reservation is forfeit.