Wellhead Upgrades< Return to Rebates
Status: The Wellhead Upgrades Rebate is now open and accepting applications for 2019, in all Areas outside Area B. Please note: Area B (Gabriola, Mudge and Decourcy Islands) has now reached the maximum allocation of rebate funding for their area in 2019. Applications from Area B residents are no longer being accepted at this time.
This incentive program rebates up to $650 for upgrades completed on private domestic wells that bring the well cap, casing stick-up, and/or surface seal up to current Provincial Best Practices. To determine what upgrades should be completed on your wellhead use the Water Well Stewardship Checklist for Rural Properties or have a registered qualified well professional complete an inspection.
|Secure Well Cap||$50 (drilled well); $150 (dug well)|
|Well Casing Stick-up||$200|
Who Can Apply
This rebate program is available to all residential landowners with a private domestic well in the RDN, including electoral areas (A, B, C, E, F, G, H) and member municipalities (Nanaimo, Lantzville, Parksville, Qualicum Beach).
- Each private domestic well is eligible for one (1) rebate over the lifetime of the program. Only property owners are eligible to receive the rebate. Secure well cap, well casing stick-up, and surface seal upgrades can be completed on one well.
- The rebate is available on a first come, first served basis. Once funds are exhausted, the program will be finished for this year.
- Well upgrades must be completed by a qualified well professional (Qualified Well Driller or Qualified Well Pump Installer) certified by the province of BC with a valid ID number, except for some well cap replacements and upgrades to dug wells under 15 meters (50 feet) in depth. Complete lists of qualified well professionals are linked below.
- All work must be completed and documents submitted between January 1 and December 13, 2019.
How To Apply
All documentation, forms, photos, and invoices, can be sent electronically to email@example.com or by mail/in person to Attn: Drinking Water & Watershed Protection, Regional District of Nanaimo, 6300 Hammond Bay Road, Nanaimo, BC, V9T 6N2.
Step 1: Submit Pre-approval Application
Step 2: Completion of Qualifying Work
- Complete the Pre-approval Application form, including a description of the upgrade(s) to be completed.
- Submit with the pre-approval form "before" photo(s), including the wellhead requiring upgrade(s), and clearly demonstrating deficiencies of any of the components described. Ensure to include a form of reference in the photos that identifies the wellhead (i.e. include part of your home or pump house in the photo).
Team WaterSmart offers wellSmart Workshops, visit www.rdnwellSmart.ca for workshop dates. Registration is recommended; attendance is free.
Pre-approved applicants will have the maximum value of each pre-approved category set aside for them (up to $650). Upon receiving written approval from the RDN, the applicant will have 90 days to complete the upgrade(s) and submit their Claim Form to receive the rebate. Pre-approval expires 90 days after the confirmation letter is issued. Contact the RDN (firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-390-6560) to request an extension.Step 3: Submit Your Claim Form
ALL WORK COMPLETED ON DRILLED WELLS MUST BE PERFORMED BY A REGISTERED QUALIFIED WELL PROFESSIONAL (Qualified Well Driller or Qualified Pump Installer) WITH A VALID IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (with the exception of some well cap installations and work completed on a dug well that is less than 15 meters in depth). IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THE WELLHEAD UPGRADES REBATE ALL WORK MUST MEET PROVINCIAL BEST PRACTICES (see Resources below).
The final document submission must occur within 90 days of the applicant's pre-approval notification and include:
Allow up to 6 weeks for processing and payment.
- Receipt(s) and/or invoice(s) marked PAID, including DATE and ITEMIZED purchase details.
- Photo(s) of the wellhead upgrade(s) at the address indicated, clearly showing it is the same well shown in previously submitted "before" photos.
- Completed Claim Form.
TIP: If your well does not have a provincial ID Tag and/or your well information has not been submitted to the BC WELLS Database by your well driller, the previous homeowner, or yourself, register your well now! Why? Click here
- RDN wellSMART Education Program
- Maxxam Labs (Courtenay)
- MB Labs (Sidney)
- Island Heath - Drinking Water (Vancouver Island Health Authority)
- BC Ministry of Environment - Information for Property Owners
- BC Ministry of Environment - Well Registration Form
- BC Ministry of Environment - Groundwater Protection and Sustainability
- BC Ministry of Environment - Provincial Wells Database
- BC Groundwater Association - Groundwater Protection Regulation Handbook **NEW**
- Inspect the condition of your well - Water Well Stewardship Checklist
- Brochure - BC Groundwater Protection Regulation (what private well owners should know)
- Brochure - Best Practices for Dug Wells
- Brochure - Upgrading Wells in Pits
- Handout - BC Best Management Practices for Decommissioning Water Supply Wells
- RDN Rural Water Quality Rebates - Well Water Quality Testing Rebate
If you have any additional questions, please call 250-390-6560 or email email@example.com.