How the program works
- Households separate their materials into food waste, recyclables, and garbage and take them to the curb as shown on their collection schedule.
- Food waste is stored in your green bin and set out at the curb for weekly collection.
- Recyclables and garbage collection alternates every two weeks as shown on the collection schedule
Your Materials Preparation Guide
For detailed information on acceptable materials and how to prepare them, please refer to the Guide.
- Garbage containers are not provided by the RDN or municipalities. Containers can be purchased at a local hardware store. The maximum container size is 100 litres or 50 pounds.
- Blue boxes can be purchased from most hardware stores.
- A yellow recycling bag for your newspaper and other household papers is provided free of charge and is available from your municipal office or from Waste Connections of Canada.
- New "Beyond Composting" green bins can be purchased from the following locations:
- RDN Administration office - 6300 Hammond Bay Road, Nanaimo (250-390 6560 / 1-877-607-4111)
- Regional Landfill - 1105 Cedar Road, Nanaimo (250-722-2044)
- Church Road Transfer Station - 860 Church Road, Parksville (250-248-5254)
- Waste Connections of Canada - 1151 Herring Gull Way, Parksville (250-248 8109 / 1-866-999-8227)
- District of Lantzville municipal office - 7192 Lantzville Road, Lantzville (250-390 4006)
- Town of Qualicum Beach municipal office - 201-660 Primrose St, Qualicum Beach (250-752 6921)
- Gabriola Island Recycling Organization (GIRO), 700 Tin Can Alley, Gabriola Island (250-247 9257)
To report missed collection of green bin, garbage or recycling, or for other service questions, please call Waste Connections of Canada at 250-248-8109 or toll free at 1-866-999-8227.