Well Water Testing Rebate
Status: The Well Water Testing Rebate is open and accepting applications for 2022. Allow up to four weeks for processing applications.
Property owners with private domestic wells are their own water managers, responsible for the quality of their drinking water supply. By regularly testing your water, you can ensure your well water is safe to consume and that it is not a conduit for contamination to the shared groundwater supply.
- Maximum Value
This incentive program rebates 50 per cent off (up to $175) for full spectrum well water quality tests.
- Application Forms
- Who Can Apply
This rebate program is available to all residential landowners with a private domestic well in the RDN, including electoral areas (A, B, C, E, F, G, H) and member municipalities (Nanaimo, Lantzville, Parksville, Qualicum Beach).
- Each private domestic well is eligible for one (1) rebate over the lifetime of the program.
- Only property owners are eligible to receive the rebate. Water purveyors and commercial properties are not eligible.
- The rebate is available on a first come, first served basis. Once funds are exhausted, the program will be finished for this year.
- Full spectrum analysis of well water must at a minimum cover: Total Coliform and Escherichia coli (E. coli), pH, Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), Hardness, Nitrate, Nitrite, Sulphate, Fluoride, Chloride, and 32 element metals scan.
- Water quality analysis must be completed by a provincially approved lab (i.e. on Vancouver Island: Bureau Veritas laboratories or MB Laboratories). For the full Directory of Qualified Laboratories in BC visit www.nrs.gov.bc.ca/qualified-labs. (See additional tab below titled "Provincially Approved Labs")
- All water samples must be submitted between January 1 and December 31, 2022.
- How To Apply
Step 1: Submit Pre-approval Application
Complete Pre-approval Application Form and send electronically to watermonitoring [at] rdn.bc.ca or by mail/in person to Drinking Water & Watershed Protection, Regional District of Nanaimo, 6300 Hammond Bay Road, Nanaimo, B.C., V9T 6N2.
Step 2: Submit RDN Issued Voucher with your Well Water Sample
Pre-approved applicants will receive an RDN issued rebate voucher for 50% off of a full spectrum analysis (ensure analysis package tests for all parameters listed on the voucher). Upon receiving the voucher, the applicant will have 30 days to submit the RDN issued voucher with their well water sample to a Provincially approved laboratory. If your voucher has expired, contact the RDN to request an extension.
Once you receive rebate approval and your RDN issued voucher:
- Pick-up the water sample bottles available from the locations listed below in the Sample Bottle Pick-Up & Drop-Off Locations section.
- Take a water sample from your tap, following the proper procedures.
- Keep sample cool (in the fridge or clean cooler with ice packs).
- Submit your RDN issued voucher with your well water sample to a drop-off location listed below or directly to a Provincially Approved Lab as soon as possible after taking the sample (bacteria must be analyzed by the lab within 24 hours of taking the sample).
- 50 per cent off the cost of the analysis will be taken off your bill in-lab.
- The lab will send you your results and help you understand your findings.
- Sample Bottle Pick-Up & Drop-Off Locations
Bottle Pick-up Locations Sample Drop-off Locations ABC Water Systems
9-2180 South Wellington Road
Yes. Drop off in person between 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m., Monday through Thursday. Sample will be sent to MB Laboratories in Sidney. Courier fees apply. Andrew Sheret
2545 McCullough Road
Yes. Drop off in person between 10:30 a.m. - 12 p.m., MONDAYS ONLY. Sample will be shipped to BV Labs in Burnaby. Andrew Sheret
1137 Smithers Road
Yes. Drop off in person between 10 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., TUESDAYS ONLY. Sample will be shipped to BV Labs in Burnaby. Arbutus Home Building Centre
785 Ross Way
No. Bureau Veritas Laboratories (BV Labs)
2775 B Moray Avenue
Yes - This is the Service Centre for one of two provincially approved labs on Vancouver Island.
Drop off samples at the Parksville or Nanaimo Andrew Sheret location (see drop-off days and times above) or contact the RDN to learn more about shipping your sample.
Hours: Monday - Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Website: https://bvlabs.tfdev.ca.
Coastal Water Supply
6359 B2 Hammond Bay Road
Yes. Drop off in person between 9:30 - 11 a.m., Monday through Thursday. Sample will be sent to MB Laboratories in Sydney. Courier fees apply. Iritex Pumps and Irrigation
1009 Allsbrook Road
Yes. Drop off in person between 8:30 - 10 a.m., Monday through Thursday. Sample will be sent to BV Labs in Courtenay. Courier fees apply. M.B. Laboratories
2062 West Henry Avenue
Yes - This is one of two provincially approved labs on Vancouver Island.
Drop off in person during business hours or arrange a courier to deliver sample directly to the lab.
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Website: https://www.mblabs.com.
Red Williams Well Drilling
1125 Smithers Road
Yes. Drop off in person between 8:30 - 10 a.m., Monday through Friday. Sample will be sent to BV Labs. Courier fees apply. RDN office, 2nd Floor
6300 Hammond Bay Road
- Provincially Approved Labs
For the rebate voucher to be honoured, samples must be taken to a Provincially Approved Lab.
Under the Environmental Management Act regulation, an approved laboratory means a laboratory registered with the Canadian Association for Laboratory Accreditation (CALA) as participating in the Association’s Inter-laboratory Comparison Program. CALA maintains a Directory of Accredited Laboratories which based on the Associations’ Inter-laboratory Comparison Program’s proficiency testing, are competent to perform specified chemical analyses. The EDQA Directory is essentially a subset of the larger CALA Directory, comprised primarily of CALA accredited laboratories located in British Columbia and Alberta.
On Vancouver Island, there are only two Provincially Approved Labs: Bureau Veritas Laboratories (BV Labs) and M.B. Laboratories. See Sample Bottle Pick-up & Drop Off Locations section above for lab contact information.For a full list of accredited labs in British Columbia, visit https://www.nrs.gov.bc.ca/qualified-labs.
- BC Groundwater Association - Groundwater Protection Regulation Handbook
- BC Ministry of Environment - Groundwater Protection and Sustainability
- BC Ministry of Environment - Information for Property Owners
- BC Ministry of Environment - Provincial Wells Database
- BC Ministry of Environment - Well Registration Form
- BC Registry Search for a Qualified Well Driller or Well Pump Installer
- Bureau Veritas Laboratories (Courtenay)
- Island Heath - Drinking Water (Vancouver Island Health Authority)
- M.B. Laboratories (Sidney)
- RDN Rural Water Quality Rebates - Wellhead Upgrades Rebate
- RDN WellSmart Education Program
Visit Wellhead Upgrades and Well Water Testing FAQ's
If you have any additional questions, please call 250-390-6560 or email watermonitoring [at] rdn.bc.ca.
TIP: If your well does not have a provincial ID Tag and/or your well information has not been submitted to the BC WELLS Database by your well driller, the previous homeowner, or yourself, register your well now!
The vision of the RDN's Drinking Water & Watershed Protection program is for healthy, safe, and resilient water resources in the region. Learn more at dwwp.ca