Solid Waste Management Plan
Our updated Solid Waste Management Plan (SWMP) was developed through a collaborative process, and it charts the path to a 90% waste diversion by 2029. The Plan outlines our commitment to solid waste diversion and management in a manner that meets the needs of our residents and environment, now and into the future.
To learn more about the Plan update, please visit www.getinvolved.rdn.ca/swmp.
Solid Waste Management Plan Amendment
- Executive Summary
- SWMP Amendment 2018
- Appendix A - Stage 1 Existing System Report
- Appendix B - Stage 2 SWMP Report
- Appendix C - Operational Certificate
- Appendix D - Regional Solid Waste Advisory Summary Binder
- Appendix E - Consultation & Communications Plan
- Appendix F - RDN Solid Waste Management Plan Consultation Summary
- Appendix G - Stage 2 Consultation Summary
- Appendix H - Stage 3 Public Consultation
- Appendix I - Public Advisory Committee
Why Does the RDN have a Solid Waste Management Plan?
The Province of BC's Environmental Management Act mandates that regional districts prepare and regularly update Solid Waste Management Plans. A Solid Waste Management Plan reflects a long-term vision for how each regional district manages its solid waste, including diversion and disposal.
Plan Monitoring Advisory Committee
The purpose of the Plan Monitoring Advisory Committee (PMAC) is to provide input, from a variety of perspectives, on the implementation of the Solid Waste Management Plan (Plan) according to the Committee Terms of Reference. In accordance with the Ministry of Environment's Guide to the Preparation of Regional Solid Waste Management Plans, a single public and technical advisory committee will act as a "sounding board" of community interests and will provide advice to the Regional Board through the Solid Waste Management Select Committee.
SWMP Monitoring Committee Meetings are advertised on the RDN Calendar of Events. Meetings are open to the public for observation. The public are not permitted to speak at meetings but can bring up topics / questions / concerns through the RDN or committee members. Contact 250-390-6560 or firstname.lastname@example.org to speak with the RDN.
Reports & Publications
- 2005 Organics Diversion Strategy
- 2007 Construction/Demolition Waste Diversion Strategy
- 2012 Solid Waste Composition Study
- 2004 Solid Waste Composition Study