Be Grab and Go Ready!
Once your Grab and Go bag is stocked up, check the contents every 6 months to update and change out expired food, water and medications and ensure you have the right size and season of clothing.
Suggested items include:
- Flashlight/radio/cell phone charger - battery, 9 volt, solar and crank varieties available
- Personal medications for one week. Ask your pharmacist about bubble packing.
- Basic first aid kit
- Personal/hygiene/toiletries items: glasses, contact products, waterless shampoo, toothbrush etc)
- Book/game - something to keep any kids busy
- Family photos
- Personal papers:
- copies of house, life, medical and car insurance
- out of province contacts
- list of medications, noting dosage and frequency
- daytime contact info for all family members
- pet vaccination record, list of any medications
- any safety deposit box info
- small amount of money
- extra keys to house, vehicles, safety deposit box
- walking shoes
- change of clothing and outerwear
- bottled water 2 litres/person/day (minimum)
- nonperishable food, can opener
- light weight emergency blankets
- large garbage bags to use a rain poncho, waterproof shelter, to keep a pack dry or to capture rain water
- whistle and map
*While these websites promote being prepared for 72 hours, recent events indicate it is more realistic to prepare for at least ONE WEEK.