Rural Area Signage Project
Identifying Barriers to Effective Signage in Rural AreasEffective signage is important to the local economy, is a public safety factor and can strengthen community identity and pride. The Regional District of Nanaimo (RDN) has become aware of concerns related to directional signage, economic development signage, and wayfinding signage in the Electoral Areas. In response, staff have been directed to proceed with the Rural Area Signage Project by the Regional Board.
The RDN has now completed the community consultation phase that was held during the spring and summer of 2017. The Regional Board received the results of the community consultation and approved the following recommendations at its regular meeting held October 24, 2017 :
- That the Board direct staff to prepare a report on potential amendments to "Regional District of Nanaimo Electoral Area 'F' Zoning and Subdivision Bylaw No. 1285, 2002", "Regional District of Nanaimo Land Use and Subdivision Bylaw No. 500, 1987", and, "Regional District of Nanaimo Sign Bylaw No. 993, 1995" to enhance the ability to construct community kiosks, and community identification and wayfinding signage.
- That the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure be requested to consider implementing the specific signage improvements identified through the rural area signage project community engagement process as presented in Attachment 3.
- That the Board direct staff to prepare an informational webpage advising members of the public and community groups how to request signage improvements and how to obtain approval to install signage.
- That the Board recognize the communities as listed in Attachment 4 for the purpose of making application to the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure to install signage in the road rights-of-way under the Ministry's Policy Manual for Supplemental Signs.
- That the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure be requested to include the communities identified in Attachment 4 in its Guide Sign and Service and Attraction signage programs.
As directed by the Board, staff will be proceeding with the approved recommendations. The RDN wishes to thank all who participated in the process and provided input.
Telephone: Phone 250-390-6510 or 1-877-607-4111
Address: 6300 Hammond Bay Road, Nanaimo, BC V9T 6N2