Alternative Approval Process: To Enter Long-Term Lease with Nanaimo-Ladysmith Public Schools for South Wellington School, Electoral Area A
Long-Term Lease for South Wellington School Approved by Residents
A long-term lease with Nanaimo-Ladysmith Public Schools for South Wellington School, Electoral Area A was approved by the electors through an Alternative Approval Process (AAP) that concluded on February 14, 2022.
In accordance with Section 86 of the Community Charter, approval by AAP was obtained for this project when less than 10% of electors within the service area submitted an elector response form by the February 14, 2022 response deadline. Of an estimated 5,187 electors, 0 eligible response forms were received.
Pending approval, the Regional District of Nanaimo (RDN) is proposing to enter into a long-term lease for 25 years with Nanaimo-Ladysmith Public Schools (District 68) to enable the RDN to use the South Wellington School site for community uses, including a community centre and a community park. Before the lease can proceed, affected electors must approve the lease. This will be done through the Alternative Approval Process (AAP), which will begin on January 5, 2022. The Elector Response Form is available below. Electors who oppose this initiative can submit an Elector Response Form during the AAP period. Electors who are not opposed do not need to take any action. The deadline for submissions of elector responses for this AAP is 4 p.m. on February 14, 2022.
For the proposed lease and more information, including information with respect to the Alternative Approval Process, please click the links below:
- South Wellington School Lease - Elector Response Form
- Staff Report from October 26, 2021 Board meeting
- Proposed Lease for South Wellington School
- News Release, June 24, 2021
- South Wellington Community Centre Facility & Site Assessment and Operational Review
- Get Involved--South Wellington Community Centre (webpage)
- General Information Regarding the Alternative Approval Process - Governance and Structure Branch
- Notice of AAP South Wellington School Lease