Temporary Use Permits

Temporary Use Permits

What is a temporary use permit?

A temporary use permit (TUP) can be issued by a local government to allow a use not permitted by zoning, specify conditions of that temporary use, and allow and regulate the construction of buildings or structure for the temporary use. A TUP may be issued for up to three years and can be renewed once.

Where can temporary use permits currently be issued in the RDN electoral areas and for what uses?

TUPs can be issued in all electoral areas, but individual OCPs designate specific areas for them. Individual OCPs also designate what types of uses can be issued in a TUP. In Electoral Areas A, G and H, TUPs can be issued in any area, for any use, subject to performance criteria. In Electoral Areas C, E and F, TUPs can be issued in limited areas for limited industrial or commercial uses.

What is the benefit of a temporary use permit?

In the RDN electoral areas citizens and the business community often ask for more flexible land use regulations to promote entrepreneurism and stimulate the economy. The ability to issue temporary use permits can allow for flexibility in the zoning regulations, but on a temporary basis and with conditions aimed at addressing potential negative impacts on the community, the neighbourhood, or the environment.

What kind of information would have to be provided before a temporary use permit would be issued?

An official community plan can include conditions under which a temporary use permit could be issued. In other words, the applicant would have to demonstrate that they can meet conditions such as how they would mitigate any impact of noise, light or odour in the nieghbourhood. Other information that could be required could include impact on local road network, impact on natural environment, suitability of the location, reclamation plan for after the temporary use is no longer operating, visual integrity of the use, and others. If the conditions cannot be adequately met the TUP would not be issued. The most recent set of conditions for a TUP are in the Electoral Area 'H' Official Community Plan, Section 5.11.

Why should temporary use permit areas be standardized?

All seven OCPs designate TUP areas but vary in terminology, uses and conditions. Standardizing TUP areas will ensure today's best practices are adopted throughout the electoral areas which will result in consistent requirements for applicants and more flexible opportunities for economic development. While this means expanding where and for what type of use a TUP can be issued for some electoral areas, when this is combined with a thorough set of conditions that must be met, potential negative impacts the community, neighbourhood or environment can be addressed.