Important note: Prior to purchasing property, obtaining house plans, considering a new land use, undertaking construction of a building or structure, or removing vegetation, please contact Community Planning to confirm the applicable zoning and land use regulations for a property. A Development Permit may be required.
The RDN has three zoning bylaws that apply to plan areas as follows:
- Bylaw 500 – consolidated (All plan areas, except F, Lakes District and Schooner Cove - Area E)
- Bylaw 500 – 2014* (applies to the Lakes District and Schooner Cove - Area E only)
- Bylaw 1285 (Area F only, Errington, Coombs, Whiskey Creek, & Hilliers)
Additional zoning regulations governing uses such as secondary suites or home based business can be found by clicking the links in the navigation pane on the left of the screen. More Information about zoning is at the bottom of the page.
Zoning Bylaw 500 – Regional District of Nanaimo Land Use and Subdivision Bylaw No. 500, 1987
- Bylaw 500 - Complete Document, Consolidated
- Part 1 Administration
- Part 2 Interpretation (Definitions)
- Part 3 Land Use Regulations (includes General Regulations - setback exemptions, fencing, watercourse setbacks, keeping animals, agriculture setbacks)
- Schedule 3B Off Street Parking and Loading Spaces
- Schedule 3C Campground Regulations and Standards
- Schedule 3D Mobile Home Park Regulations and Standards
- Schedule 3E Setbacks from Watercourses
- Schedule 3F Landscaping Regulations and Standards
- Part 4 Subdivision Regulations (Please refer to the Subdivision webpage for more information
- Schedule 4B Subdivision Districts
- Schedule 4C-4D1 Community Water and Sewer System Standards
- Part 5 Development Permit Areas
Zoning Bylaw 500-2014 (Lakes District and Schooner Cove Area E only)
Zoning Bylaw 1285 – Regional District of Nanaimo Electoral Area ‘F’ Zoning and Subdivision Bylaw No. 1285, 2002
Don't know which bylaw applies to you? Look up your address in the RDN WebMap:
FAQ: the letter notation at the end of the zone for all Bylaw 500 areas, indicates the minimum parcel size based on type of servicing available (ie. RU1, D). See schedule 4B of Bylaw 500 for details.
Please note: the mapping tool works best on Microsoft products. If you experience technical problems with the tool, please contact GIS@rdn.bc.ca
These bylaws contain regulations outlining the specific zone of each parcel of land (including the surface of water) and how a property may be developed. The regulations determine what land uses are permitted on a property and include specific provisions such as the maximum number of dwelling units; the minimum setback and maximum height requirements of buildings and structures; and the maximum parcel coverage allowed on a lot. Minimum parcel sizes are also regulated by these bylaws.
All Zoning Bylaws are available for purchase from Community Planning as follows:
- Bylaw 500 (both versions) - $25.00 plus tax , text only
- Bylaw 1285 - $10.00 plus tax, text only
Maps (per map sheet)
- Up to 12 x 18 inches - $3.00 plus tax
- Up to 24 x 36 inches - $7.00 plus tax
- Up to 36 x 72 inches - $14.00 plus tax
- Longer than 72 inches - $3 per linear foot, plus tax
Have a question? Need more information?
Please contact Community Planning
Phone: 250-390-6510 (Nanaimo area) or toll free in BC 1-877-607-4111
Fax: 250-390-7511 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org