The following provides some useful links for those seeking information about agriculture in the region.
Provincial Agricultural Government Agencies
Please note the following links are provided for convenience only. The RDN does not guarantee their accuracy as amendments sometimes occur.
- Agricultural Land Commission Act
- Agricultural Land Reserve Use, Subdivision, and Procedure Regulation
- Farm Practices Protection (Right to Farm) Act
- Right to Farm Act Reference Guide
- Environmental Management Act
- Integrated Pest Management Act
RDN Property Information
- RDN Geographical Information System (GIS) Map
- Zoning Bylaws
- Official Community Plans
- Regional Growth Strategy
- 2016 Census of Agriculture
- 2012 Agricultural Land Use Inventory
- 2011 Census of Agriculture
- Agricultural Area Plan Background Report
Economic Development Information
Environmental Farm Plan Program
- Ministry of Agriculture
- BC Agriculture Council and BC Agricultural Research and Development Corporation
- Nanaimo FoodShare
- Coombs Farmers' Institute
- Nanaimo Cedar Farmers' Institute
- Cedar Farmers Market
- Qualicum Beach Farmers' Market
- Errington Farmers Market
- Island Roots Market Cooperative
Commercial Composting Facilities within the RDN
Nanaimo Organic Waste (NOW) – Compost is made from residential kitchen scraps, commercial food waste, yard and garden debris and fish waste. NOW is only able to accept clean yard & garden waste. No animal manure, carcasses or any part of a carcass is accepted.
The finished compost product can be purchased directly from The Milner Group
Earthbank Resource Systems Ltd. – Produces Earthbank Fish Compost which is listed by the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) for use in organic production. Farm waste (other than salmon farm waste) is generally not accepted, but manure may be accepted with prior arrangement. Please contact Earthbank directly to inquire.
The finished compost product can be purchased directly from on-site or larger orders can be arranged to be delivered.
- www.farmwest.com - non-profit developed by Pacific Field Corn Association. The Farmwest climate station network is part of a water conservation initiative for more effective and efficient use of irrigation water. Website includes weather based farm calculators, articles and information and events calendar.
- Farm Folk City Folk is a not for profit society that works to cultivate a local, sustainable food system. Their projects help to facilitate access to farmland; support local growers and producers; and engage communities in the celebration of local food. Examples of projects include Local Food-Micro Loan Fund and partnership with Young Agrarians. You can also sign up to receive a copy of their online magazine.
- BC Young Agrarians is a network of new and young farmers made up of a diverse array of growers: rural and urban farmers, garden marketers, seed savers, bee keepers and food activists from coast to coast.
- Young Agrarians U-Map is an online land registry that is available to anyone in Canada. The service aims to match farmers and landowners to support access to land available for farming. The YA also hosts an online Land Blog where farmers and landowners can post opportunities as well as Land Linking Workshops on request. For more visit the BC Young Agrarian website.
- Country Life in BC is the source for agricultural news in BC since 1915. Monthly publication available by subscription.
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Institute for Sustainable Food Systems, includes projects such as Farm Schools in Richmond, BC. Offers 9 month training programs for new farmers in sustainable, small scale farming and direct marketing.
Land Access and Tenure
- llaf.ca - Linking Land and Farmers - provides land access resources for landowners and land seekers in British Columbia with the goal of seeing as much land as possible in agricultural production. We provide resources for a range of land tenure models (lease, license, MOU), sample land share agreements, information on legislation, what to look for when acquiring land, farm transfer and farm succession and more.
- farmlandaccess.ubcfarm.ubc.ca - This Website may be under construction but could be a valuable resource in the future for land access resources,